Monday, March 31, 2014

Ciudad ti Bigan

What's the best thing about my job? I get paid to travel! Last week, I was assigned to have an onsite training with our new hotel client, Hotel Veneto de Vigan located in the capital city of the Province of Ilocos Sur. Vigaaan! It was a work related trip and I only stayed there for 4 days (including a very long bus ride). However, I still managed to enjoy the beautiful Hispanic city at its best.

1. Calle Crisologo - Vigan Heritage Village


This place is the best definition of Vigan City. Calle Crisologo, for me is like a small Vigan. Honestly, this is the only tourist spot in Vigan that I knew. No need to blame my History teacher for that haha! It's the city's famous trademark. "Where's the Herritage Village located?" was even the first question I asked to a local on my first day.  Luckily, the village is only few steps away from where I was staying. As far as I can remember, I visited the place four times haha! I just can't get enough of this lovely old place!



Everyone insisted that I must not leave Vigan without visiting the place during night time or else I would miss half of my life. And they're all right. I was speechless with what I saw. A breathtaking view that I thought I would only see in my History books.

2. Vigan Dancing Fountain


I never expected that my stay in Vigan would have a night as magical as this one. I don't know how to describe this exactly but I tell you, It's really amazing. I was even shocked, literally because I already went to Plaza Salcedo earlier that day. But all I saw was a big lifeless swimming pool at the center of the park. Honestly, I even thought that it was a very clean artificial pond that was built as a decoration not knowing that it was a huge musical fountain. Then, one of my trainees told me that I should go there at exactly 7:30 PM. Not 7:31 but 7:30 haha! 



Out of curiosity, I decided to dine out at a fast food chain along Plaza Salcedo. So I went there and noticed that there were already lots of people in the park. Suddenly, all the lights went off. Exaggeratedly, I thought that it's the end of the world haha! Then, music filled the place and people started cheering! Surprisingly, a hologram appeared right at the center of the "pool" and a fountain show started. "WOW" was the only word that repeatedly came out my mouth. I only went there by myself though, so it was only a whispering shy "wow" sound haha! Just like a kid, I was really happy because I felt like I was in a magical place. Felt like I have achieved and crossed out a wish on my bucket list that I didn't even wrote. Hope next time I can join the crowd and dance along with the music.

 3. Food


Special Empanada and Ukoy

Without doing any research, I can tell that empanada is the most known ilocano food. Before I went to Vigan, almost everyone said that I should try the special empanada. Vigan Empanada is made of vegetables with meat fillings (Vigan longganisa), rice flour, atchuete, egg, salt and deep fried in hot cooking oil. When I went to Plaza Burgos, where you can spot lots of empanada stands, I was surprised because I never expected that it's huge haha! Much bigger than the normal empada. It's kinda expensive though (30 Php each) but it's worth it.


Arroz Caldo and Sinanglaw

Sinanglaw is also called by other Ilocanos as “Papaitan.” It is steamed/boiled mixed internal organs of a cow. In bisaysa Pait means Bitter. It also taste bitter (for me cause I'm ultra sensitive to bitter taste) so I assumed that how it got it's name.


Bagnet Noodles

This one's the best!!! I recommend that you go and dine out at Lampong's Restaurant. They serve the best Bagnet noodles in the city. Plus, they have tables outside their resto. You can actually enjoy and eat right in the street of Calle Crisologo. An awesome time travel experience that you should include in your bucket list. 


Wari-Wari 

I'm not sure if I spelled this right but they really really wanted me to try this one because it's one of their famous Ilocano food. They even amusingly asked me to guess what this food is made from. It's obviously pig, so I said pork. Pretty close, to be exact it's made of pig ears and guts.  Tastes like Sisig. Yum!


Balicotcha

Oh how I love Balicotcha. It's one of my childhood favorite sweet food. But when I saw Vigan's Balicotcha, I was kinda surprised because it's very different from my hometown's version that I used to eat when I was young. Too bad, I'm on my no sweet food diet that's why I didn't bother to taste this one. 

4. Kalesa (Horse Carriage)


Kalesa is one of the modes of transportation in Vigan. I love Kalesa as much as I hate air pollution caused by automobiles. I haven't got the chance to ride or drive one though, even in Cebu which is also famous for Kalesa. Ahm I don't know, maybe I don't have enough determination or maybe I'm just waiting for the right timing? Haha may ganun.
5. Ilocanos


During my stay at Vigan, I was surrounded by beautiful and kind Iloconos. 


My trainees's, the beautiful and accommodating crew of Veneto de Vigan Hote.


Veneto de Vigan Hotel is owned and managed by Mr. and Mrs. Benjo Versoza, City Councilor of Vigan City



I was asked to stay for the hotel blessing before I head off to Manila. I had fun and I imagined that the event was for my despideda party haha! Libre mangarap. Thank you Veneto Hotel!

6. Spanish Colonial Architecture


One of the many reasons why many tourists travel to Vigan is to experience and see all the beautiful historical buildings with great Hispanic architecture design. I don't know if it's just me but there's really something mysterious about old historical buildings. I feel like it's screaming and waiting for us to listen to it's stories. If only walls could talk.


1. Saint Paul's Metropolitan Cathedral's Interior 2. Carenderia near Calle Crisologo 
3. Saint Paul's Bell Tower 4. Bonifacio Street at night


Agyaman nak Vigan! Thank you Vigan!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

RebexclusivePowered by Blogger